After reviewing the original HTML template, I decided to keep it. I spent the past week completely reworking the structure of the various photo directories. By restoring many of the changes I made back in the beginning, some of the previously non-working features are functional again. The most noticeable is the top of page gadget that follows the cursor as you scroll down the page.
One of the big changes was changing the kayaking.lemurtech.org redirect to lemurtech.org/upstream. The two Pine Barrens sites were similarly redirected to lemurtech.org/pinebarrens. I am satisfied with the changes and will leave things as they are for the foreseeable future.